Locations We Serve

Industries We Serve

What is a 1099 form? A Comprehensive Guide for Small Business Owners

1099 form

As a small business owner, you’re likely to encounter various tax forms and regulations that are crucial for compliance and financial management. One such important document is the 1099 form. This guide will walk you through everything you need to know about 1099 forms, from their definition to the filing process.

What is a 1099 Form?

A 1099 form is a tax document used in the United States to report various types of income other than wages, salaries, and tips (for which Form W-2 is used). It’s primarily used by businesses to report payments made to independent contractors, freelancers, and other non-employees.

How do you determine who receives a 1099?

The 1099 form is typically issued to independent contractors, freelancers, and other individuals or entities who provide services to a business, but are not employees of the business. If you pay someone at least $600 in services, rent, awards, or other income payments during the year, you may need to provide them with a 1099 form.

Who receives a 1099?

1. Independent Contractors or Freelancers: Any individual or entity that provides services to your business but is not an employee typically receives a 1099 form. This includes freelancers, consultants, and contract workers.
2. Attorneys: Legal services provided to your business necessitate a 1099, regardless of the entity type (individual or firm) or the amount paid.
3. Rental Property Service Providers: If you’re in the rental property business, you need to issue a 1099 to service providers such as plumbers, electricians, and cleaners, even if they are unincorporated.
4. Royalty Payments: Individuals or entities receiving royalty payments of $10 or more in a year must receive a 1099-MISC.
5. Interest and Dividends: Financial institutions must issue a 1099-INT for interest payments and a 1099-DIV for dividend payments, typically if these payments are $10 or more.
6. Government Payments: Various government payments, like unemployment compensation, are also reported on a 1099.

Who Does Not Receive a 1099

1. Regular Employees: Regular employees do not receive a 1099 form. Instead, their income is reported on a W-2 form.
2. Corporations: Payments made to C-Corporations or S-Corporations typically do not require a 1099, except in the case of legal services.
3. Minor Payments: If you pay less than $600 in a year to a contractor or service provider (except for the specific cases like attorneys or royalty payments), a 1099 is generally not required.
4. Merchandise, Telephones, Freight, Storage, and Similar Items: Payments for these items are generally exempt from 1099 reporting.
5. Rent Payments to Real Estate Agents: If you pay rent to a real estate agent or property manager, you do not need to issue a 1099 to the property owner.
6. Payments Made via Credit Card or Payment Settlement Entities: Payments made through third-party networks or credit card transactions are reported by the payment settlement entity on Form 1099-K.

Remember, these are general guidelines, and there may be exceptions or specific circumstances that affect whether a 1099 is required. It’s always a good idea to consult with a tax professional or refer directly to IRS guidelines for specific situations.

Due Dates for 1099s

The due date for sending out 1099 forms to recipients is generally before or on February 1st of the year following the tax year in which the income was paid. For filing with the IRS, the due date is typically February 28th if filing by paper, or March 31st if filing electronically.

Different Kinds of 1099s

There are several types of 1099 forms, each designed for different types of payments. Some of the common ones include:
1. 1099-NEC: Used for reporting non-employee compensation.
2. 1099-MISC: Covers other types of payments, like rent, prizes, and awards.
3. 1099-DIV: For reporting dividends and distributions.
4. 1099-INT: For interest income.
5. 1099-R: For distributions from pensions, annuities, retirement plans, etc.

How to Issue and File a 1099 as a Small Business Owner

Issuing a 1099

1. Collect Information: Obtain a completed Form W-9 from your contractor to get their name, address, and Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN).
2. Fill Out the Form: Use the information from the W-9 to fill out the 1099 form.
3. Send to Contractor/Vendor: Send the completed form to your contractor or vendor for their own taxes.

Filing with the IRS

1. Paper Filing: Mail the completed 1099 form to the IRS by the due date.
2. Electronic Filing: You can file electronically using the IRS Filing Information Returns Electronically (FIRE) system. Electronic filing is mandatory for businesses filing 250 or more 1099 forms.

What happens if I miss the 1099 filing deadline?

If you miss the 1099 form deadline, the IRS imposes specific penalties based on how late the form is filed. These penalties are (based on the latest IRS information):
1. Filed within 30 days of the deadline: The penalty is $60 per 1099 form.
2. Filed more than 30 days late but before August 1: The penalty increases to $120 per form.
3. Filed on or after August 1 or Not Filed: The penalty is $310 per 1099 form.
Intentionally missing the filing deadline is subject to a penalty of $630. These penalties are subject to annual adjustments for inflation. Additionally, if the IRS determines that the failure to file was intentional, the penalty can be more severe.


Keep copies of each 1099 you issue for at least four years in case of any queries or audits from the IRS.

Online Filing Services

Several online services facilitate the electronic filing of 1099 forms. Some popular ones include:
Understanding and managing 1099 forms is a critical part of business operations, especially for small business owners who work with freelancers and independent contractors. Timely and accurate filing of these forms ensures compliance with IRS regulations and helps maintain organized financial records.
For more detailed information and specific instructions, always refer to the IRS guidelines and consider consulting with a tax professional.